Sunday, March 15, 2009

Temporary Fixes and More Progress

Morning snow, followed by late morning rain, then wind, then sun, a bit of hail and now more rain. Mother nature has many moods today.

I have been tracking all the conditions of the side yard where the children's garden will be. This has included the way the sun falls, how the wind flows through and even where water accumulates. This particular side of the yard has a known drainage problem, and this morning I went out to check on it.

Today's storm hasn't been very bad, just strange, and yet flooding is still an issue. We DON'T want the water seeping into the vent beneath house any more. We had a pretty bad flood into the vent earlier this year, and we don't want that to happen again. When I realized the water was about to go in the vent, I went out to tackle the problem.



In this area the water accumulates in a large pool. I realized I should deal with this, too.



Water is seeping underneath the tool shed, and I knew I definitely should deal with that right away.



So I spent a good portion of the morning digging. Since I haven't yet called the gas company, I figured the safest place to dig was along the fence line.



I dug a long trench all the way alone the fence line. But, I needed somewhere for the water to flow to. Since the rhododendron needed to come out, I decided to dig it out and have the water flow to the hole where the rhododendron was.



It seemed to work great. The water now flows away from the house and shed, fills the hole and absorbs into the ground.



After it was finished, I decided that was enough for the day. The winds had picked up, and I was wet and cold. When I went to the door, Bob took one look at me and said "You're dirty!" I busted up laughing.

Now... you know, I may not have a thing for shoes, but I must say, I do LOVE my Hunter boots. Last summer Bob told me to get them because he knew I'd use them. I had a difficult time spending $80 on rubber boots - today, I am SO glad I did. I wear them all the time when I'm out and about in the yard. They were a good investment. Even with all the muck, mud and water, my feet stayed warm and dry.



Next project... digging out this tree. I think I need to call the gas company to get the gas lines marked first, though. After that, I think a French drain may be in order. I have installed one before so I know how to do it. I just don't want to accidentally take out a gas line in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...