Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day!


Happy May Day to all! We don't celebrate May Day in a formal sense, but when May rolls around I am so excited to see all the beautiful changes that spring has in store. It is now 14 days from our "safe" planting date. Soon - all the effort of bringing plants inside each night will be past.


I'm not a big fan of a lot of statuary in the garden. But, I do think it is fun for the children to see a few fun items decorating the garden. I like that this bunny almost looks real.


The garden is beginning to green up. I can't wait to see a lush garden filled with lots of plants and texture. I love how big my tomato plants (along the back wall) have gotten, and I am very grateful that 5 of my early started sunflowers have survived to this point.

I'm also noticing that we need to paint the caulk on the house before the plants make that chore a little difficult. LOL!


My seedlings are patiently waiting for the moment it is safe to plant them in their final homes. Yesterday, I did transplant 11 petunias that I started from seed. When I woke up this morning, the first thing I did was check to see if they survived the night. They did. Thank goodness! I'm holding back on planting these remaining petunia seedlings just in case something happens to the others.


Ever wonder what a 42' long trench looks like from below?

Ah... the trench project. I dug 1/2 of the trench myself. Thank you to DH for stepping in and helping me out with the 2nd half. This particular trench is almost finished.


I know a few little munchkins who loved to play in it.


One little munchkin in particular thought it was very cool to watch the water make it to the end of the trench.


We laid the pipe and filled it in. Just a little more sod needs to be placed back on top and it will be finished.

Unfortunately, we are not finished with digging trenches. We still have one to dig along the side yard. The new one will be more complicated. It will be attached to a gutter and rain barrel system and will drain into a rain garden.


Poster by Good Nature Publishing.
I was given one of these beautiful posters last night at a rain garden workshop.

What's a rain garden?
The rain garden poster says it best:
Rain gardens work like a native forest by capturing and infiltrating stormwater from rooftops, driveways, and other hard surfaces. Rain gardens reduce flooding by absorbing water from impervious surfaces; filter oil, grease and toxic materials before they can pollute streams, lakes and bays; help to recharge the aquifer by increasing the quantity of water that soaks into the ground; provide benefical wildlife habitat.


And, last... does anyone have any idea what this strange looking bug is? I thought it was pine needles at first. I wish I could have gotten a better picture - the morning sun was glaring on it.

Edit: I learned that this is a "Plume Moth". A better photo can be found here: http://www.insectidentification.org/user/imgs/plume-moth.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...