Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Reading Room

I can't believe it has been 10 days since my last post. Things got a little busy during the last couple of weeks of school. I tell you, I'm very happy school is out and the children and I have time to learn and play together.

Speaking of the children, they are too funny. They are learning so much about the garden, and about nature, that it amazes me. We had an aphid infestation on our bell pepper plants. My husband and I chit-chatted about what to do, then I decided I would just try to manage the aphids by squirting them off with water and hope for the best. I didn't even realize the children had paid any attention to our aphid conversation at all until today. This morning my daughter screamed for her big brother to come quick because she saw an aphid and he needed to "get" it. I have no idea if she really did see an aphid, but her big brother proudly ran over to save the day. I'm not exactly sure what he did to "get" it, but their interaction sure was cute!

Now for some garden pictures...


The bean teepee is growing nicely. The marigolds have helped the beans significantly since this patch seems to be under constant attack by slugs. I call this little spot in my garden the children's "Reading Room".


Speaking of slugs, here's a photo of one of those slimy creatures just moments before a fateful death in the "slug bucket". What's a slug bucket? It's a small white pail that has salt sprinkled on the bottom. I had to come up with a solution to keep my husband from "a-salting" the slugs wherever they were. I just couldn't handle seeing piles of salt and dried up slug all over my garden any more. The slug bucket works very well.


I harvested our broccoli a bit late. It didn't taste as good as it could have, but I'm just chalking it up to a learning experience.


I love how vibrant this ivy geranium flower is. I have many different colors of ivy geranium in my hanging baskets. This is my favorite color in the bunch.


I'm glad I snapped this photo of my Hidcote lavender a few days ago. For some reason, half of the plant died. I'm not sure what happened. I'm hoping the entire plant doesn't die on me. That would be sad.

2 comments:

  1. Broccoli! Mine gave up sometime ago. That is quite the slug. Shouldn't they have dried up in the heat? I hope you can join the SAGBUTT gathering next time. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in the Slug Capital of the World (Washington State). How are the marigolds helping the beans? By being sacrificial lambs? Because 'round here, marigolds are Slug Candy! I can't seem to get them to grow. Yet the local Wendy's restaurant has a mass of marigolds as a landscaping feature. Maybe they lure slugs to their deaths with secret sauce...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...