Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunflower 'Kid Stuff'

The plants in my garden that I am truly enjoying right now are my sunflowers. I started these from seed and raised them indoors for quite some time. I was hoping to get an early bloom - and I succeeded! I am sure our recent heat wave helped the sunflowers to bloom earlier than they would have.



Two of the four sunflowers are in full bloom.



I love how the petals have a vintage and ruffled appearance to them.



On the not-so-fun side of gardening, I have been battling the cabbage worm on my broccoli. I made the mistake of not covering my beds during our heat wave. This left the broccoli wide open for the moths to lay their eggs. Since I only have 6 broccoli plants, I have decided to attempt to save them by hand-picking and squashing the caterpillars. Now, I'm covering the beds each evening, as well. I hope I have the cabbage worms under control. At first I was hand picking a lot of them - now I'm just picking 3 or 4 a day.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you have those pretty sunflowers already! We just planted ours, but they sprouted practically overnight. I bet they have loved the sun.
    Our broccoli looks terrible, it's been eaten by something too. At least you have the start of some there :) Hope yours can keep growing in spite of the bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous sunflowers. I can't wait until mine bloom! I don't have a worm problem with my broccoli, I have a groundhog problem:(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...