Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Where are the Bees?

My sunflower 'Moonwalker' opened its first bloom today, so I thought that it might be a good flower to observe for The Great Sunflower Project. Since I saw two bees early on during my observation yesterday, I thought I'd see at least one or two bees stopping by today. Sadly, during my 1/2 hour watch, no bees visited any of my sunflowers, or other flowers, that are in bloom in the garden.


Sunflower 'Moonwalker' is about twice the height of Sunflower 'Kid Stuff', yet its flowering head is smaller and the yellow color is paler.


Sunflower 'Moonwalker' is a multi-bloom sunflower. It looks like this sunflower may have as many as 10 blossoms on it.


This picture might give you a bit of perspective on how tall this sunflower is. It is much taller than I am, and I am 5'9" tall.


More things are happening in my garden. I was surprised to see these growing on my corn. I have never successfully grown corn before so I'm not quite sure what this is. It's in the center of the stalk. I thought "ears" grew on the side of corn, so I'm not sure if this is the beginning of an ear or not.


The corn "field" is taking on some height. The beans beneath the corn are hanging in there, as well.


Hey - look! I actually have pea plants! It took long enough! Three attempts at sowing peas and I finally have some. We'll see how they do since it may be the wrong season for them to grow in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...